Many of us have experienced the odd restless night from time to time but it’s thought that around a third of the British population has suffered a proper bout of insomnia: “Difficulty getting to sleep or staying asleep for long enough to feel refreshed the next morning”.
There is no fixed amount of sleep humans require but quality sleep is central to good health and happiness. Age, lifestyle, environment, diet and the way we respond to an episode of tossing and turning are all factors that could determine whether we wind up in the 10% who go on sustain a chronic sleep disorder.
This Masterclass delves deeper in an attempt to offer up a fresh, holistic approach to an increasingly common complaint. It provides a solid foundation for practitioners working alongside clients wishing to resolve their sleep issues for good.
- Brain waves and the stages of sleep
- Chronobiology and the circadian rhythms (BRAC)
- The hypothalamic/SCN/pineal mechanism (Retinohypothalamic tract)
- The role of light and dark
- The serotonin/melatonin link
- Dietary and lifestyle factors and their impact
- ‘Emotional Trance States’ (R.E.M. Sleep Disorder, S.A.D and depression)
- Cognitive factors (the anxiety cycle and poor sleep perception)
- Ultradian Rhythms and Hypnotic Phenomena
- Natural ways to re-set/support the sleep cycle
- Script outlines and session set-up